Aaron's Life-of-the-Party Albacore Platter
- One frozen Tre-Fin Day Boat tuna loin
- Finely diced red onion, about 1/2 small
- Thinly sliced jalapeños, 2 to 3
- Thinly sliced green onions, one bunch
- Coarsely chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup
- Toasted sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Soy sauce
Remove the fish from the freezer and leave it out on the counter (still in its package) for 30 to 45 minutes. You want the fish to soften slightly, but remain mostly frozen as it will cut more easily this way.
After you remove the loin from the package, find the skin side. It will have noticeable lines on it that are easily shaved off with a sharp knife if the loin is slightly softened, but still frozen. This step isn’t necessary for a recipe that requires cooking, but makes a difference in the final appearance of this preparation and poke.
Slice the loin as thinly as possible. Arrange the slices on a large platter, slightly overlapping them, to cover the surface of the plate. Generously scatter the albacore slices with red onion, green onion, jalapeno, cilantro, sesame seeds and coarse sea salt. Serve immediately, with soy sauce or a combination of soy sauce and ponzu, and wasabi if desired.