Broiled Black Cod
Adapted from Dawn's Broiled Black Cod, Sitka Salmon Shares
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh garlic (use a microplane)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (use a microplane)
- 12-ounce fillet black cod
- 2 scallions, white and green, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Hot rice for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
To make the glaze, combine the soy sauce, miso, vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic and ginger in a small bowl.
Line a baking sheet with foil and place the black cod in the center, skin side down. Spoon the glaze over the fillet until the fish is entirely covered. (You may have some leftover.)
Place the pan in the oven and cook for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, turn on the broiler and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and lightly caramelized. Don't be afraid to let it get dark in places; black cod is difficult to overcook and you're after a few crispy bits and caramelized flavor.
Garnish with sliced scallions and sesame seeds, if desired.